El Paso blends cultures and traditions: from the historic Old West to the colors of Mexico, from the heritage of Native Americans to the beauty of the Chihuahuan desert.
LDS Members make up 1.57% of the population. El Paso Saints attend the Ciudad Juárez México Temple serves members from 10 stakes and 1 district based in Chihuahua and Far West Texas.
In 1876, Daniel W. Jones led a company of missionaries to the El Paso area where they prepared to begin missionary work in Mexico. Towards the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th, a few Latter-day Saint families from the Mormon colonies in Mexico relocated to El Paso and Ciudad Juarez. In July 1912 nearly 3,000 saints fled their homes in Mexico because of a revolution and made their way to El Paso. The first ward in Texas was organized in El Paso on October 11, 1918. It was originally part of the Juarez (Mexico) Stake, but was later transferred to the St. Joseph (Arizona) Stake. The Mexican Mission headquarters was located in El Paso from 1919 to 1929. The El Paso Stake became the first stake in Texas on September 21, 1952.