The Willamette River runs through the center of the city, while Mount Tabor rises on the city’s east side. Mount Saint Helens and Mount Hood are visible from many places in the city.
LDS Members make up 2.3% of the population in Portland. There are 149,089 members in 36 stakes, 253 wards, 50 branches, 3 missions, and 2 temples in Oregon.
A chapel was built in Portland in 1929, ready for an open house on February 15-17, 1929. The building carried the architectural scheme of an old English manor, being constructed of dense lava stone and bricks of the clinker type, and is declared particularly suited to western Oregon climate and surroundings. It included a maternity room and a basement with 14 classrooms. The architect was C. R. Kaufman, and construction had begun on August 1, 1928.