Kihei is beach-combing territory on Maui’s southwest shore, the sunniest, driest end of the island. Once a regular destination for sojourning Hawaiian royalty, Kihei features six miles of beaches.
LDS Members make up 4.66% of the population of Kihei. The Kona Hawaii temple is the 70th operating temple completed in January 2000. In the state of Hawaii there are 69,872 members, 15 stakes, 124 wards, and 10 branches, and there is one mission.
The LDS church was established in the Hawaiian Islands in 1850.A new phase of development for Laie began when the sugar plantation of that name was purchased by George Nebeker, the president of the Hawaiian Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The Latter-day Saints in Hawaii were then encouraged to move to this location. This purchase occurred in 1865. The first LDS Church missionaries to have success among the Hawaiians was George Q. Cannon.