Wilmington is the largest city in the state of Delaware, United States, and is located at the confluence of the Christina River and Brandywine Creek, near where the Christina flows into the Delaware River. It is the county seat of New Castle County and one of the major cities in the Delaware Valley metropolitan area.
LDS Members make up 0.50% of the population of Wilmington, Delaware. The state of Delaware has 4,585 members in 1 stake, and 10 wards and 3 branches.
Latter-day Saints arrived in Delaware in 1837. In 1843, converts to the Church were encouraged to gather in Nauvoo, Illinois. Several converts from Europe used the Delaware waterway to Philadelphia to enter the United States. In the early days, Church meetings in Wilmington were held in a rented hall. In 1931, Church missionaries used a local radio station to broadcast gospel messages. Block teaching began in 1941 among some 16 LDS families, meetings began May 4, and the Wilmington branch was organized September 28, 1941. The branch, with 9 adults and 10 children, continued with little growth for the next decade. In 1950, some 63 attended a branch party at the home of the branch president. The Salisbury Branch was organized in 1953. The Dover Branch was organized later that decade. A meetinghouse was completed in 1960.